Apple iOS 5 Update Today
If you are a mobile Apple product user and you happen to live under a rock, you might be pleasantly surprised to learn that Apple is releasing the latest version of their iOS software today. New features include:
- Notification Center - No more pop up messages in the middle of your games, they just slide down from the top now.
- iMessage - the beginning of the end of SMS messaging for iPhone users. This service is an Instant Message system for iOS 5 devices.
- Reminders - An official To Do list app with the added feature of GPS tracking. You can set an alert to remind you to do something when you leave your current coordinates (i.e. call the wife when you leave work). Pretty handy.
- PC free - You no longer need a computer running iTunes to use Apple's mobile devices. With iOS 5, you can pull an iPad out of the box and immediately use it. If you want to backup or restore your data, it's all done wirelessly.
- and a whole bunch more...
Compatible devices are iPhones 3GS, 4, and 4S; iPod Touch 3rd and 4th Generations; and iPads 1 & 2.
In addition to the update with iOS, there's an update for iTunes that was released yesterday (version 10.5 141). Apparently some users have been experiencing strange syncing issues the first time they plug in their iOS devices after updating iTunes, I myself included. When I synced my iPhone 4, it acted as if it was the first time I had ever plugged in the device and asked me to register my phone. I feared the worst would happen and wipe everything out instead of backing it up, but fortunately after clicking through the registration screens, the normal sync screen appeared. Now if Apple would just release the iOS 5 update already...
Update: After updating my iPhone 4 and playing with many of the new features, I have to say this is by far the best iOS update Apple has released yet. When they finally added copy and paste, that was cool and all, but the notifications are great, the reminders are a refreshing and needed addition, iMessage works great and sticks it to the carriers, and the wireless backups are awesome! You can multitask while it backs up now, you don't have to connect it to your computer. It still has to be plugged into a power source, but you can continue to use the device while it's backing up! If you haven't updated yet or aren't sure if you are going to do it. Don't think, just update. It's well worth it!